September 7, 2008

Our First Week at Home

We have had Hannah home for a week now, and things are finally starting to calm down. We brought her home on Friday afternoon. The first weekend at home was insane. Once again, our phones were ringing off the hook and we had a constant flow of people wanting to see her. It was a bit overwhelming. I don't think some people understood that even though she was a week old, we had not had any time together just as a family to just sit and hold her. I think the next time I have a baby I will not tell anyone for a few weeks...ha! On Monday, Josh and I had a day to ourselves with her which was wonderful, especially since Josh had to go back to work on Tuesday (he had been off for 11 days already!). We gave her a bath, which was fun. She didn't seem to mind it except when I got her head wet. She let out a little cry, but then she liked getting the shampoo put on. That day, Josh and Hannah also took a nap on the couch together which was pretty cute. They looked pretty comfortable. Josh and I love holding her and watching all of the faces that she makes. She always seems to be "smiling" at us which makes me laugh. Hannah is doing great with her eating. The hospital was a huge advocate of breastfeeding, and they provided a lot of support. However, they warned me that Hannah might not catch on real fast and that she may only be able to breastfeed once a day for quite awhile. She proved them wrong! She caught on right away and seems to be gaining weight every day. I still give her some bottles to try and track her intake. Also, Josh does one of her night feedings so I can sleep which is really nice. I love being at home with her all day. Her Grandma Teresa and her Grandma Jody both got to spend some time with us this week. I had a ton of stuff to do around the house, including some last minute work on the nursery but I am starting to feel somewhat organized. Things finally feel like they are how they are supposed to be. I love being with my beautiful baby girl.

2 comments:

Kristina said...

You're doing such a great job posting pics and stories! I'm so glad you're enjoying being at home. Once again--I LOVE the smiling picture! Sadie didn't really smile when she was that little...

I held a 1-week old at church today and I'm starting to get more excited for our little guy!

Betsy Sudlow said...

Time out... I've held Hannah many times, but I still haven't gotten a picture with her! I'm so sad! :)