May 27, 2009

The Total Money Makeover

Our church is talking about doing Dave Ramsey's program, Financial Peace University in the fall, so I decided to check out one of his books from the library and read through it. I chose The Total Money Makeover. I thought it was such an excellent book. I read it in about 2-3 nights. I couldn't put it down! It outlines baby steps that you should take to become financially sound. I think that no matter what stage you are at financially, you can learn a lot from this book. You may need to start at step one, or you may be ready for step four. No matter what, I bet you will learn something. As a brief synopsis, here are the Seven Baby Steps: 1. Get $1,000 saved in an emergency fund 2. Pay off all debt except your mortgage 3. Build your emergency fund up to 3-6 months of expenses 4. Invest 15% of income into a retirement plan 5. Start college funds for your kids 6. Pay off your home early 7. Build wealth and GIVE AWAY EVEN MORE!!! I love that Dave Ramsey has sound, financial advice, yet he is a Christian. The Bible tells us that the LOVE of money is the root of all evil... but money itself is not evil. In fact, it's one of the most effective ways we can further God's kingdom. Just about every church, non-profit organization, or missionary could do more with more money! Think of the impact if all Christians were WISE with their money and followed these principals... I think it is important to educate the church on this. Go to the library and check out this book today!

1 comment:

Kristina said...

Marc led our small group in a study based on this book 2 years ago--we're big fans! Good for your church :)