May 11, 2009

Making Baby Food

On Friday night, I made a new stockpile of baby food for my freezer. I made applesauce, blueberries, peaches, watermelon, chicken, peas, carrots, and green beans. In the past, I have also made squash, avocados, and bananas. If you haven't made baby food before, it is easier to do than you may think. You can use fresh or frozen produce. Basically, most things just need to be boiled or steamed and then pureed. After the puree is done, you can scoop it into ice cube trays. Once the cubes are frozen, you pop them out and put them in freezer bags. When it is time for baby to eat, you just stick a cube or two in the microwave and defrost them. Some people ask why I go to the trouble. For me, I think it is so much more cost efficient. Some people do it more for the health benefits. You know exactly what is going into your baby food. There are no added preservatives, etc. A great website to teach you about making baby food is: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/. I know several of you girls have made baby food before so feel free to add to my commentary. I love learning from you all! P.S. A little blueberry goes a long way :)

2 comments:

Kristina said...

Way to go! I was just thinking that I will soon be making baby food again... :)

Jenn said...

One of my favorite things was seeing all the beautiful colored cubes. It made me feel very healthy. Great job, on the baby food.