November 23, 2009

Our First Trip to the ER

I was really hoping that Hannah would be older before I'd have to write about our first trip to the ER, but she broke us into this reality of parenthood one day before her fifteen month birthday. She loves to play "I'm gonna get you" and have us chase her around the house. Well, last night, she and Josh were playing this in the dining room, and she tripped over her highchair and hit her head on the corner of the drywall. She split her forehead and it was bleeding pretty well at first. Emily and Betsy were over, so they called Paul's wife Alisa, who is an ER nurse. She came over and said it looked like she may need stitches. She went into the ER with us and had a doctor check her out before we checked in. Luckily, they thought that glue would do the job. I was glad Alisa was around to tell us what to do. Hannah was actually very calm through all of this. She didn't cry much, even when it happened, and I think we were more upset than she was. Luckily, she doesn't know what blood is, so it didn't scare her. I on the other hand, was fighting back tears and cringing at the words "laceration" and "sutures." Can't they say "cut" and "stitches"? To me, that somehow sounds better. However, the care we got at the hospital was great. We did not have to wait long at all; I think we were in and out in less than an hour which is amazing for the ER. They gave Hannah a little teddy bear that ladies at a local church had made. I thought that was really sweet. Hannah unfortunately was not a fan of the actual gluing process. It wasn't very fun. Don't get me wrong; I think stitches would have been a million times worse, but gluing a toddler's head is no picnic either. I held her in my arms while a nurse held her head still. They had to "clamp" the skin together and had their hands all over her face to keep her from moving. Plus, they said that the glue stings. Needless to say, she was not very happy while this was going on, and if she cried, it made the glue separate. How can you tell a hurting child not to cry? She was upset for awhile after it was over. She woke up a couple of times in the night last night and I went in and held her. I was so afraid of her bumping it and breaking it back open. Even though this was a very minor injury in the scheme of things, I still hate that my little girl got hurt. I don't want anything bad to ever happen to her!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Oh, my! An ordinary night turned upside down, been there done that. Glad you survived and Hannah looks like she is doing great. Going to the ER child is way worse than going for yourself.