May 6, 2008

A Gardening Attempt

Over the last couple of years, I have found that when talking to my husband, I should avoid making thoughtless, casual comments that begin with words like “We should get…” or “Wouldn’t it look nice if we….” unless I really mean it. These are dangerous comments-Once that seed is planted in his head, nothing else happens until it is accomplished. Don’t get me wrong, I also love this about him. I can always count on him to get the job done, but sometimes he takes me too seriously. Take this past weekend for example. I made the mistake of saying, “Wouldn’t it be nice if we had a tree in the backyard? Maybe we could plant one for each child we have and it could be their tree.” Most husbands would say “yeah” and go on with life. Not Josh. Ever since “the comment,” he has been to three tree nurseries and has been online researching trees, trying to figure out what kind will look best, what will be easiest to grow, and what will be the most cost friendly. His philosophy is “why plant one tree when we could plant 5 or 6?” I said, no, one is enough for now! But, in the end, you know I will let him do whatever he wants… While at the nurseries, he decided that we needed to add some landscaping. He came home with twelve new plants! I have to give him credit, he tried very hard, but I wish I would have been with him. First off, he wanted to buy a plant for our front porch. Great idea-it is kind of plain. However, he came home with a Hibiscus plant…. This was so sweet of him because he knows that I love those, but it definitely won’t work for the front porch because it is 100% shaded, and the Hibiscus is a tropical plant. Then, he had $60 worth of daylilies. They’re nice, but we already probably have $400 worth in our yard that just needed to be split and planted elsewhere. I made the mistake of reminding him of this, so this was also added to the project list… He did, however, choose two beautiful hanging plants for the front porch which I love! On Sunday, he convinced me that we should spend an “hour or two” in the yard together planting his new purchases and splitting all of the existing daylilies. I reluctantly agreed. Most of you probably know that I am not much of a gardener. It’s not that I don’t like to work in the yard-it’s just that I really don’t know anything about it. SIX HOURS later, this pregnant lady was covered in mud from head to toe (literally) and was exhausted. That is hard work! Since we really don’t know much about landscaping, I hope our plants survive… I am a little worried that they will die after all of that work! I wish I had a picture to post of me when that was done, but you would probably all be scared…

2 comments:

Kristina said...

Sounds like you had fun :) I also wish I knew more about gardening... Marc wants to do a lot of landscaping at our house. (I will give him credit for all of the hours he's spent ripping out the overgrown, unmanaged bushes all around our house!)

Jenn said...

Sounds like fun! At least you aren't so big you can't bend over yet (and hot all the time!). We are talking about painting our house and doing some work outside. Our yard needs A LOT of work. I have always thought your house looked really good in that department when I've visited.