March 8, 2017

Lucas and Sleep

I started this post about Lucas' sleep early on, as he was a great little sleeper but it took us about 10 months to figure out sleeping 12 hours at at time.  The complication came with having 2 kids' bedrooms for 4 kids... and 2 kids who both needed the crib... 
For the first two months, my strategy with Lucas was the same as with Aleah.  I basically just never put him down.  He was on me 24 hours a day.  We slept in my recliner together, and it worked out great.  I love this stage!!!

At two months, Lucas went to sleeping in the pack 'n play next to my bed.  He loves sleeping on his belly.  He could roll front to back pretty early on, and by 3.5 months, he could flip himself over consistently when he was ready to get up!

He has always been good at putting himself to sleep, from the beginning.  By 2 months, he was sleeping 8 pm-8:30 am and just getting up ONCE, around 5 am to eat.

At some point, he backtracked.  I'm not sure at what point it was, but he starting sleeping 7ish-7ish but getting up TWICE (at varying hours) and was still doing that at 9 months.  He's in our room with us, so when he cries, he just comes into our bed, eats, and then goes back into his.  No big deal.

I thought Christmas break would be a great time to solve this problem.  We rearranged the kids' rooms again.  Hannah, Jacob, and Aleah had all 3 been sleeping in the boys' room.  We moved them all to the girls' room and had Aleah start sleeping in a big girl bed.  That meant Lucas could have a CRIB and his OWN ROOM.  That was all he needed, which I had suspected for quite awhile.  After a month of sleeping in his own room, he has only gotten up once in the night and sleeps 11-12 hours a night with two 2-3 hour naps a day.  It didn't take much to get him on a nap.  He fell into a pretty natural schedule, napping 3 times a day for the first several months, and then transitioned to 2 naps a day, each being about 2-3 hours.  He likes his sleep!  He reminds me of Jacob in this way!  Hallelujah.  His song is Amazing Grace.  I learned all of the verses, in order and have sang it to him hundreds of times this year.  I love this boy!






No comments: