I admit, there's a weak spot in my heart when it comes to Pottery Barn Kids. Don't get me wrong, I don't have much from there.... but I'd like to! I usually flip through the catalog, admiring all of the beautiful things, scoff at the prices, and throw the catalog away. But, a few years ago, I spotted it.... a beautiful Christmas set with matching stockings, tree skirt, and advent calendar. I REALLY wanted it. I decided the stockings were affordable, would last forever, and could be added to as we had more children. I found a coupon code of some sort and ordered 3 stockings for what I considered to be a good deal. I LOVED them (and still do)! Last year, we added one more when Jacob was born (I actually found that one cheaper on ebay, already embroidered!). And I reminded Josh this year that there is still one empty hook on our wall.... :)
I also really wanted the matching Christmas tree skirt but couldn't justify the price and have just admired it in the catalog the last few years. But, this year, my mother-in-law gave me money for my birthday. Normally I just add birthday money to the general fund. But this year, I decided to splurge and order my tree skirt. I still didn't like the price, so I found one on ebay for half the price, embroidered with someone else's name. I decided I could rip the stitching out, so I ordered it. I got a call from the seller a few days later telling me he accidentally double listed it, and it was sold, but he could send me a blank one. Yeah! I said perfect because I was going to rip it out anyway. He then said he had an embroidery shop and could put our name on it for us. Perfect! So, I got my brand new, personalized tree skirt for half the price! Also, you may notice that the four characters on the tree skirt are the same four that are on our stockings. That was just a lucky coincidence because there were many stocking characters to choose from. I feel like it must have been meant to be!
But, even more than that tree skirt, I wanted the Advent Calendar. It is beautiful and I just felt it was a piece that would create fun Christmas activities and family traditions. It was more the idea of the fun we would have with the tree that made me want it. But again, the price was holding me back. I dropped the hint a few times over the last few years that it would make a lovely gift, but no one ever grabbed onto that hint :) Last year, I realized I had a lot of MyPoints saved up and could get a Pottery Barn gift card for almost enough to pay for it. So, I cashed in my points for a gift card, but by the time the gift card came in the mail, the advent calendars were sold out! I was sooo sad! So, I saved the gift card until this year, and I had enough points to order another gift card and pay for the whole thing! Yay! Finally. And it does not disappoint! It is beautful, and I am ready to start a new family tradition. I made our list of activities to do each day this month to put in the pockets. Some things we are doing were already on our calendar. Some are simple things, especially on days where we are already busy (I definitely planned the activities around our calendar!). But, I wanted to include giving time and money to others, as well as carve out time for us to spend us a family, making fun memories. It's hard to tell if my list is overly ambitious for the first year, but we shall find out. Here it is:
1 Read a children’s Christmas book
2 Decorate our tree
3 Hang lights on the outside of our house and watch a children’s Christmas movie with popcorn!
4 Send a gift to someone who needs it… if possible don’t let them know who it’s from!
5 Read a children’s Christmas book
6 Have a family Christmas movie night with treats
7 Go to the library and check out Christmas books
8 Wrap presents for our Angel Tree kids and take them to church
9 Read Mark 1:1-8 & watch a Christian Christmas movie
10 Babysit kids at church to raise money for Compassion International
11 Watch a Christmas Movie- Have hot chocolate with marshmallows and Christmas cookies!
12 Choose a gift to buy from Compassion's Christmas catalog or discuss sponsoring another child.
13 Go to Springfield to see Jennifer, Faith, & Titus.... and get our new nativity set!
14 Watch a Christmas Movie-Daddy’s choice! Have Mocha Punch with the movie!
15 Turn off the TV and computers for the night and turn on the Christmas music and candles. Do fun things together like reading books, coloring, puzzles…
16 Read Luke 1:26-38 & watch a Christian Christmas movie.
17 Bake Christmas goodies. Have a special family dinner. Use the good china! Tell each member of the family what you appreciate about them.
18 Drive around town and look at Christmas lights with a Christmas music playing in the car!
19 Small Group Christmas Party at our house!
20 Finish Wrapping Christmas Presents and put them all under the tree!
21 Daddy vacation day! Decorate cookies and Read Matthew 1:18-24. Go Christmas caroling at the Nursing Home
22 Daddy vacation day! Dip Pretzel Rods in White Chocolate & Sprinkles and make peppermint bark. Take a cookie tray to a neighbor or someone who needs some encouragement. Read Luke 2:1-5 Open a present….Wear the new present to bed J
23 Daddy vacation day! Christmas at our house! Make homemade doughnuts and open presents… Read Isaiah 9:1-6 Watch “Elf,” Have a Birthday Party for Jesus with cake and candles!
24 Christmas at Grandpa and Grandma Gurtler’s & Church
25 Church & Christmas with the Downings 26 Christmas with the Sudlows
2 comments:
I've admired these for years too!!! I mostly just want some stockings - I've never justified it since we don't spend CHristmas at home. I'm going to be in Louisville for Christmas this year and mom and I are going to see if we can catch some after Christmas at the PB store there for cheap. I LOVE them!
You rule my ever loving saving world. :) Dang... I haven't done Mypoints in about 10 years!!
Post a Comment