July 8, 2010

The Burgers

About six weeks ago, our minister Dave Burger pulled up to our house unannounced. He has done this a few times in the past and it usually means bad news or that he's dropping off something for us (his wife Jennifer hands down decorations, magazines, and baby things to me often). Well, this time, it was the news I had feared for a long time. He told us that his family is leaving Catlin! I cannot express how sad this makes me. I love the Burgers so much and have always secretly prayed that God would keep them here forever. I honestly thought there was a chance they would stay forever. They have been here 14 years, which is much longer than the average minister, I realize. I just didn't ever want to have to say good-bye. I met Dave on the night of my 8th grade graduation. From then on, he and Jennifer have been a part of every pivotal moment in my life. I spent lots of my time in HS with them.... mission trips, CIY, amusement parks, Bible Study, youth group, worship team, the list goes on and on. They were there for me through dating in HS, my Grandma passing away, and many other hard times and fun times that our family went through. Dave was very instrumental in Josh becoming a Christian. In high school, Josh said that Dave really helped him understand what being a Christian is all about, and he baptized Josh 11 years ago this month. When we were at Lincoln Christian College, he came to visit us and checked on us often. Jennifer encouraged me when I was having a rough transition my first semester. Then, when we were getting ready to graduate, Dave and Jennifer actually did couples marriage counseling with us before our wedding. We had so much fun going out to eat and working through our workbook. Dave was the minister at our wedding, and I can't imagine having had anyone else. He knew us so well and had been with us every step of our relationship. We then moved back home, and they were a big part in helping us get started in children's ministry and have been there for us every step of the way. Dave came to the hospital when Hannah was in the NICU. I was so glad he came. Jennifer and I became even better friends once we were both moms. We exchange stories, ideas, and frustrations. We "talk" a lot through e-mail because everyone knows what it's like trying to have a phone conversation with kids in the background! So, I'm hopeful that our e-mail relationship will continue! Dave is one of those guys who really is good at everything, especially when it comes to ministry. And he would hate me saying it, but he really is one in a million. People of all ages relate to him and love him, he is a phenomenal preacher and teacher, he has an awesome voice and is great at leading worship, he is also great behind the scenes with the tech side of things, he can fix anything, and he is great at administration and keeping the office organized. With all of those credentials, he seems irreplaceable to me. And of course, a 14 year relationship is irreplaceable. Our church is so blessed to have had him, and the church he is going to is so blessed to be getting him. He is going back to his home church, which is in southern Illinois. I really admire them for following God's calling as I'm sure it was not easy for them. They could have ignored the call and just stayed comfortable where they are, but that is why they are such awesome people, because they are people of God. Josh and I both went separately to their house yesterday and said good-bye, but we both told each other last night that all we could get out was that we loved them and would miss them... and then we couldn't speak any more. I am so glad that God put them in our lives and I will miss them forever! I'm going to pray that God will bring them back to Catlin some day.... :)

3 comments:

Bethany said...

This made me tear for you guys, it is hard to see someone move on when you love them that much! I think Dave and his family sound amazing and am hoping that he moves to this area, where in So Il? I am sorry for all of this. I am so glad that he has been there for you guys, very thankful for all you guys are!!

Jenn said...

This was really beautiful Steph. Writing is always a great way to work through how we are feeling. I will call you tomorrow to catch up!

Emily said...

already crying today!