February 5, 2010

50 Years Young

My mom turned 50 on Monday. All of us kids organized a fun family day on Sunday. To start the day, all five of us kids, along with our significant others, sat with my parents at church. We filled up two pews! Although we all go to the same church, it is rare that we all sit together. It has actually probably been years since that has happened. Between Paul's crazy work schedule, our children's ministry obligations, Emily living in southern IL, Betsy at college, and Phil not being able to get out of bed (haha), we are NEVER all together for worship. It was so nice to all sit together, and it made me think 25 years down the road and hope that all my children would be around to be in church with me. After church, all of us went to The Beef House for lunch. This is another extreme rarity. Our family NEVER goes out to eat! Of course, with 14 people, it is not cheap, so you can see why it never happens. All of us kids pitched in to cover the bill, and it was nice to give my parents a break from entertaining for once. My mom prepares a huge meal EVERY SINGLE Sunday after church for all of us, so I was glad she could have a break (although she does love it). After lunch, we all came back to our house and my mom's mom, brother, and sister and their families all came over for cake and presents. Paul's wife Alisa has been taking cake decorating classes, and she made a beautiful chocolate cake that looked like it was from a bakery. All of us kids went together and got mom lots of new shirts. She also got several gift cards to go shopping, so she should be set for awhile! Everyone hung out and played games and visited for several hours. It was a great day. I hope my mom loved it as much as I did. I have to think that as a mother with grown children, there is no better feeling than this. I pray that my children and I are as close as we all are with our mom.

1 comment:

The Sud Factor said...

super-awesome day.

good work, team.