September 17, 2016
Potty Training Score: 3 Down, 1 to Go!
I potty-trained Aleah about three weeks ago. She was so ready! I have decided that 28 months is my magical potty-training age. That's about when I have done all three kids, give or take a few weeks. Aleah has been ready for awhile (as was Jacob when I trained him), but life has been crazy this year, and honestly, it was easier to just wait. Lucas was born when she was 23 months old. I thought we might try this summer once all of the kids were home from school and I could have their help. We kind of tried one morning with no success, and then I realized that our schedule was way too crazy. We needed a few days at home in row, and that just was NOT going to happen this summer. Plus who wants to spend all their time at the pool and ball diamonds running to the bathroom (with a nursing infant in tow)? NOT ME! So I made the decision to wait until the kids were in school. I am not into "gradual potty-training." Once we start, we're all in! So, we started the 2nd week of school (because the first week was nuts). I used my same method as the other two. We drank extra drinks, sat on the potty, and read books until she finally peed. I think the first time might have been on the bathroom floor because she was getting antsy. But aside from that, she only had one other accident that day, and then from then on, she started telling me and going on her own. Her first #2 was that night, and she totally took herself in there and did it and then came out and told us. I was cracking up. I have never had a child do that for the first time! I bought M&Ms as a treat for each success, but Aleah wanted Pringles instead, haha! "No, I uh chip... pingle." So she got one chip each time. She got new Minnie underwear which she loves. It was a breeze. Obviously she was more than ready to be potty-trained, but any earlier just didn't work in our lives this year. It took us maybe a few hours, if that. After she went twice, she started telling me herself. There was no chasing her around saying "You have to go potty? You have to go potty?" Haha! When I hear parents doing that, I wonder if they realize that they are the ones who are potty-trained, not their kids. Wait until they are ready and it's super easy, and you deal with little to no accidents. Also, we only wear underwear at home but pull-ups whenever we leave the house. She has not had an accident yet, but ain't nobody with 4 kids got time for potty accidents when you're out of the house! She is still wearing a diaper for sleeping. After training three, this is my best advice! One more to go.... let's all pray he is just as easy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment