June 19, 2010

Father's Day in Chicago

For Father's Day, I decided to buy tickets to a Cubs game for Josh. We figured we might as well make a little trip out of it and head up to the city for a few days. We got there on Wednesday afternoon. Josh booked us a great hotel on Priceline. We stayed at the Sheraton Suites, and our room had two separate sleeping areas which was awesome because we have learned that having Hannah in our room does not usually work! This was a lifesaver. We could put her in her "room" and shut the door. She slept great! The hotel also had a gorgeous outdoor pool which was too tempting not to get in right away-that was the first thing we did! Hannah liked floating around in her little tube. That night, we went to one of our favorite restaurants, Gino's East Pizza. It is amazing! Josh used to go there in high school with his tennis team when he had meets up there, and one time he brought me home a piece. That was when I knew he loved me...haha. Our favorite is the deep dish sausage patty pizza. It has an amazing crust, then cheese, then a sausage patty that covers the entire pizza, and then sauce on top! I am not normally a huge sausage person, but I LOVE this pizza! We ordered a large so we could take leftovers back to our hotel room for the next few days. Then we went to The Woodfield Mall and Target and did a little shopping. The next day, we got up and headed downtown for the Cubs game. Hannah got a certificate for her first visit to Wrigley Field. It was also bobble head day, so we each got one. We got to our seats an hour before game time, which presented a slight challenge with a one-year old. Josh walked her down to the field to watch warm-ups. Once the game started, she did really well. She loved cheering with the crowd even though she had no idea what was happening. After a few innings, she started to get cranky, so I walked her and she fell asleep-hallelujah! She slept until the singing of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the 7th inning stretch. Then she was ready to go again! We had a really nice family sitting to our left, and they had four kids. Hannah reached out and wanted to sit with the mom. Since her kids were older, she welcomed the "baby." Hannah got passed around the family the rest of the game, and I got a break! I'll take it! One of the daughters gave Hannah a couple of her bracelets, and we gave them one of our bobble heads because they didn't get there in time for one. We were glad we had such nice people sitting by us! Towards the end, it was looking like we might go to extra innings, which I was dreading. I have been to a Cubs game that went to 16 innings... I could not handle that with a toddler. I was really surprised we had made it 9 innings! Luckily, the Cubs pulled out a win in the bottom of the 9th! The crowd went crazy, and Hannah loved it! She was going crazy too! After the game, we headed to P.F. Chang's for dinner. We had never been there and wanted to give it a try. We were starving, and it was good! Then, we did a little more shopping and headed back to our hotel. On our last day, we decided to go to Shedd Aquarium, mostly because it was free that week! I knew it would be crazy since it is normally over $20/person. When we got there, we were told that the line was a 2 hour wait in the scorching HOT sun. We were not sure we wanted to wait, but we had just paid $16 to park, so we thought we'd see how the line was moving. We thought it was moving a little more quickly than their prediction, and luckily, it was only an hour wait. It was a good thing because we were not prepared to be out in the heat for so long and it was HOT!! Thankfully, there was a fountain that the kids could sit and put their feet and hands in which helped me entertain Hannah while Josh held our spot in line. It was quite busy inside as well and it was still pretty warm because there were so many people. But, it's hard to complain about free. Hannah enjoyed the fish "fee," dolphins "doldol," and turtles "turtur." As soon as we hit the car, Hannah was out and slept half the ride home. It was a really fun little trip. There is so much to see and do in the city. Josh and I talked about how much fun it will be to take the kids to see and do different things there as they get older. It was a great way to celebrate Father's Day as a family!

No comments: