January 26, 2009

Children's Ministry

Isn't it neat to look back over the last 5-10 years and think about how God's plan was shaping up for your life and you didn't even know it? Take our children's ministry for example. During college, Josh was asked to do a children's ministry with his friends in Wapella, IL. This is something he probably would never have sought after or done by himself, but he ended up really enjoying it. Right after we graduated college, our church happened to need a part-time children's minister for 1st-5th grade, and they asked Josh if he was interested in the position. Without his experience at Wapella, I highly doubt he would have done it, but because of that opportunity he had during college, he was excited about the thought and took the job. Josh and I have been doing this ministry together for nearly five years. At times, it definitely was a lot on top of us both working full time, but we figured it would be easier eventually when I became a stay-at-home mom so we stuck through the hard times (meaning a BUSY schedule!). Right after Hannah was born, our other part-time children's minister, who took care of birth-kindergarten, resigned from her position. We were asked if we would like to take over that portion of the ministry as well. Since Josh already has enough on his plate, we decided that it would be best if I oversaw that part of the ministry, so I am once again employed! I was not looking for a job, and had it been any other situation, I probably would not have considered it. However, it just seemed like this was the best case scenario for the church and for our family. I can do all of my work from home, except on Sundays obviously. If I do have to go to the office for something, I can take Hannah with me. It's also working out great for the church because now people will not be confused about who they need to talk to for things concerning the children's ministry since Josh and I will be working together on everything. I am excited about this opportunity and would love your prayers and/or advice.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Who would have thought you would end up a children's minister & I'd end up a minister's wife? But God is fun(ny) like that!

Kristina said...

I'm super excited for you... and will be praying!